How to Create an Accessible Event
One important aspect of making an event accessible includes providing closed-captioning and ASL interpreters. This not only makes it easier for people who have auditory processing difficulties or a hearing impairment, but also allows the audience to follow along if they miss something the speaker said, and can be used as a transcript you can post online later for those who might have missed your event!
Using the Disability Services Office for Events:
The first thing you need to do is get in contact with the Disability Services Office (DSO). This is different from the Disability Resource for Students office (DRS), which does not handle event accessibility. If you think you MIGHT have a need, it is best to give them a heads up early, so you can alter or cancel as the event gets closer.
DSO can respond to our accommodation requests most effectively if they receive the request as far in advance of the event as possible, preferably at least 10 days before the event.
- For general disability accommodation requests, contact DSO at 206-543-6450 (voice), 206-543-6452 (TTY), 206-685-7264 (fax), or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For interpreting, captioning, amplification services, and TTYs, contact the Coordinator of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services at 206-543-1415 (voice), 206-543-6452 (TTY), or email@example.com. (I recommend emailing even if you leave a voicemail.)
When you contact DSO, provide the following information:
- Your name
- Your contact information
- Today’s date
- The name(s) of those needing services (and how they are associated with UW – student, staff, conference attendee, speaker, etc.)
- Date of service
- Start time AND end time of service
- Building name and room number of service
- Details of assignment, including the title of the event and the type of the event (such as lecture, presentation, meeting, concert, staff retreat, training)
- Type of service requested (such as interpreting, captioning, amplification services, TTYs)
- Budget name and budget number to be charged for service OR specify if you are asking DSO to fund the service
Regarding the other services the DSO can provide, please read their website to find out more!